The ozone therapy utilizes ozone. It is a colorless gas composed of three oxygen atoms. Researchers claim that ozone bears therapeutic effects. Ozone layer is prevalent in the earth’s stratosphere. The basic purpose of the ozone layer is to shield the earth from the ultraviolet radiation of the sun, most of which is absorbed by the ozone layer. In medicinal terms, ozone therapy helps in disinfecting the conditions, improving the intake and use of oxygen in the body and activating the immune system.
Uses of Ozone Therapy
In the field of medicine, ozone therapy has been proven quite useful. It was used to disinfect a patient, aid the blood flow and offer anti-inflammatory effects during the First World War. Today, it can be used to cure the following ailments.
- Circulatory disorders
- Geriatric disorders
- Infected wounds
- Macular degeneration
- Rheumatism and arthritis
- Viral diseases
Even though, ozone is a gas, advancements in the medicinal technologies has composed it to be used in several forms and in various ways like:
- Autohemotherapy: In this, the blood is withdrawn, mixed with ozone, and flown back into the bloodstream.
- Gas bath or sauna
- Ozonated water which can be drunk
- Ozonated olive oil which is applied on the body
- Injections used in the dentistry
Advantages of Ozone Therapy
- Inactivates bacteria, fungi, parasites, protozoa, viruses, and yeast.
- Has inflammatory properties
- Improves the circulation by cleaning arteries and veins
- Limits the stroke damage
- Normalizes hormone and enzyme production
- Improves brain function and memory
- Prevents shock
- Purifies the blood and the lymph
- Stops the bleeding
- Reduces cardiac arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythm
- Reduces the risk of complications from diabetes
- Stimulates the immune system to speed up healing
Side Effects of Ozone Therapy
The side effects of ozone therapy can depend on the type of treatment a patient has undergone. Under any circumstances, ozone should never be inhaled. If it does go into the eyes, nose or mouth, it can cause burning sensation, coughing, headaches, nausea or vomiting. Severe exposure than this can cause respiratory complications.
One of the primary side effects from having the ozone treatment or therapy is called the Herxheimer reaction. This can cause flu like symptoms in the patient and can make them feel worse in the short run. When the ozone therapy is given using the insufflation through the rectum, the patient might feel slightly discomforted, cramping and feeling as if they need to pass gas. These side effects prevail on a temporary basis. Positive side effects are listed below.
- The person feels more energized
- It becomes easier to fall asleep
- Nails and hair grow faster and stronger
- The person’s skin has a healthier glow.
To know more about oxidative therapies used to fight cancer and other ailments, feel free to visit this site.